Pasta and veggies (Maybe a primavera)
- Start boiling water in large pot about 6 qts
in large frying pan place
- ¼ cup good olive oil
- 5 gloves garlic minced (you can use 1 tbl spoon from a jar)
- Small (4oz) can of black sliced olives
- ½ cup red cabbage sliced up thin
- 2 medium carrots sliced anyway you like but the slices must be about 1/8th inch thick
- Green pepper slices thin ¼ in slices
- Red pepper slices thin ¼ in slices
- 4 Scallions. the whole thing white and green part cut about 3/8 inch
- 3 cherry red hot peppers seeds out and chop them up
- Sugar snap beans pull the string out and leave them whole
- Broccoli cut up into pieces about the size of a half dollar
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes from a jar setting in oil not dried. sliced into pieces about the size of a half dollar. This is the flavor so it is a must, if you can get some of the oil from the jar so much the better.
- Put 1 pound pasta in the 6 qts of boiling salted water. for this I like to use bowtie pasta or penne
- Sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on the veggies and season with salt and pepper.
- You can shake on ¼ tsb of Italian seasoning of you like or Mrs Dash
- Turn on heat under veggies high. When it starts boiling add 1/3 cut vodka (the cheap stuff). Cook veggies about 5 minutes or until they are tender (the alcohol will burn right off) . Do not overcook them, they should still be very crunch just softer than raw.
- Drain the pasta and poor in about 1/8 cup good olive oil and mix into pasta.
- Put pasta in a long oval dish and gently pour the veggies into the middle so the pasta gets pushed to the outside. Sprinkle a little cheese on the dish and Garnish with parsley
If you like to add chicken or shrimp. I like to do it this way. Put a cast iron pan on the burner and turn the heat on high. this should heat for about 5 min. Cut the chicken in thin strips about ¼ inch max. From this point on shrimp or chicken are cooked the same.
- Melt ½ cup butter.
- Mix equal parts of paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, white pepper, Italian seasoning, onion powder and salt.
- Now pour the hot butter over the chicken or shrimp and mix it with your hands to coat them all and sprinkle the Blackening mixture on and put it on the hot pan seasoned side down. Put them all in the pan. Now sprinkle the other side. Only cook for a minute or 2 and flip them. Cook another min or 2 and take them out, place them on the outside of the plate surrounding the pasta and the veggies. Also open the windows and get ready for the fire alarms to beep. This may smoke.you can use pasta that does not have gluten in it or a past of whole grain and really make this dish healthy